Think is a modern office chair that emphasizes good ergonomics and minimal environmental impact. It is a flexible and intelligent chair for the mobile worker, meaning that the chair adjust itself automatically to the person using it. Environmental concerns played a key role in the design and the chair is designed for disassembly and is cradle-2-cradle certified.
Circular Design Strategies
- Dis- and reassembly: The chair is designed so it is easy to take apart and 95% procent of the parts can be reused.
- Product Durability: The self adjusting structure gives a simple design with adjustment levers that can break.
Business Model Archetypes
- Classic long life model: The chairs are sold directly from Steelcase and through retailers.
- Access model: Companies can lease furniture from Steelcase. They also have a takeback programme.
- Performance model: Steelcase use the performance thinking in their marketing. They state that they sell increased productivity.
Product Life Cycle stage
- Mature stage: Office furniture in general is a stable product category. The graph below shows that there was a slight increase in the sales of office chairs in the US between 2005-2010.