In the performance model users pay for the result that the product delivers instead of the product it self or access to it. In this case the performance will be to have access to water and wind. An idea can be a subscription to every kind of board sports to the water. Pay for a service to rent kite gear, surf gear or swimwear wherever and whenever you want to be on the water.
In the performance model users pay for the result that the product delivers instead of the product it self or access to it. This can also be interpreted in another way concerning this project. Progression/performance is an important part in this sport category. Fanatic kitesurfers want to progress as quick as possible. Kitesurfers have the mentality to always be the best, if you’re able to do some tricks you can impress the the other sex. The payment for performance in this business model, is paying to progress faster.
The business model responds to the needs and wants of the user so they are willing to pay for a more circular product.
Nature, user & business need to benefit from the total concept
- User wants to progress as fast as possible with the product what matches his performance
- The business makes a profit in delivering this service
- The service needs to enlarge the current lifecycle of 1.3 year of the board what will benefit for the world.
Whit this in mind the Performance model will be the most beneficial for user, business and nature. It will be an interesting challenge to use payment for progression in order to change to a more circular business.
The challenge will be to use the Performance business model. Therefor it is important to define how performance can be reached in order to choose for the best fitting design strategies and implement this in the service on a system or product level.
- Shape of board should match performance level
- Knowledge about the material and different levels
- Reliability in material (rely on material, dare to push your tricks to next level)
In the 3rd session with the professional designer the following ideas were generated
I will explain the concepts that were the most promising solutions towards a more circular economy.
- Board adapts to user (future)
Classic long life, Performance model,
Combined with strategies attachment and trust, and upgradability and adaptability.
The most ideal situation would be that the board grows together with the progression of the kitesurfer. The level can be tracker through a GPS tracker. At every progression level the shape of the board will change, this can be promising for a faster progression in kiteboarding. In this model the user pays to progress faster.
Since the technologies nowadays don’t allows us to complete this concept, the following ideas were generated to see how other strategies or business models can solve these problems to the model can be implemented nowadays.
- Board grows together with user
Access model, classis long life
Combined with strategies upgradability and adaptability and attachment and trust.
The kitesurfer can rent different boards according to your performance. To enable a faster progression in kitesurfing the kitesurfer shouldn’t have an emotional touch with the board. The selection of the board should be made according to its performance. An idea can be a blanco board. In this way the kiter will not become emotional attached to the board and when the time is ready he will easily change board. If the maximum level of progression is reached the owner has tried a lot of different board and is able to choose his favourite board. This is the moment were the kiter becomes emotionally attached to the board. This board will be personalised with his favourite graphics and he can keep this board forever.
- Hybrid Board
Combined with strategy upgradability and adaptability.
Pads and footstraps that perfectly fit to your feet (custom made) only leaves the board to change. In this model the board becomes a short lived consumable, The board will be made of a different (recyclable) material so the user can change whenever he wants. The costs of the board should be lower and therefore made out of 1 material.
- The material/production of the board itself has potential to become more circular. More research need to be done in deformable or better recyclable materials to implement these ideas in the current system. There I choose to not improve the design of the product to last longer but to design a system whereby the product has a longer lifespan. This leaves me to integrate the Acces model into the final design in order to provide this service.