Evaluation blog

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Final Concept Design
  1. Product analysis & design strategies

To start the research I went to a kite board producer to find out more about the product on a product level. This gave me some interesting insights in the use of material. A lot of research is done already but it’s very hard to change the production into a more durable way. Next to this I discovered that the disposal behaviour differences completely per user, this was an interesting insight and gave a little change in the way I would define my design goal. But more about that later because before I could work this out we had our first session with the designer.

  1. Design strategies

Together with the professional designer we came up with some interesting ideas for each strategy to improve the circularity of kite boards. Finishing the project I now realise that analysing the different strategies only gave us some inspiration to get to know the strategies. At that moment I thought we already had to apply these strategies and select the most promising ones for our final design.

So after a discussion with Pieter and Ivo I realised I went in a total wrong direction. The strategies were only a starting point and didn’t have to be applied jet. First a more specified design goal and a defined user group was needed to be able to implement design ideas into the final concept.

So I went back to the analysis and did some more market research.

I identified 3 user groups and did some market research (questionnaire) to analyse the purchasing and disposal behaviour of the user. Research showed that improvement in skills leaded to disposal behaviour of the old gear.

  1. Business models

In the project the next step was to analyse the business models together with the “professional” designer. I had some difficulties and had some doubts going on with the product, since research showed the product itself is already a long lasting product only with limited recycle possibilities. I hoped the business models could help me out but the brainstorm with the designer leaded to some more frustration. Neither she or I hadn’t any experiences using business models.

At the end Pieter helped us out and I found that for my problem the business models could help me out. At this stage of the process I realised that changing on a system level could have more impact than on a product level in my case.

  1. Final design

The cost price calculation and customer journey were some very important steps to ensure if the concept could work out beneficial for user, business and nature. I first decided to make a lease system with different categories in quality of boards. After the cost price calculation I noticed that there was such a low difference in cost price per month that I could change the system to an easier system in use both beneficial for user and business. I had some struggles to choose fora n access model or performance model. After a discussion with Peter and Ivo I choose to work out the performance model. This was the most interesting and challenging. My specialism in design for interaction came forward at this moment. Focus on the users needs and wants to make them interested to pay for the circular service. I think with the combination of the application (I campe up with at the last moment) the concept is completed.

  1. The circular design process:

Thinking from a different perspective maybe needs a different design process but for me this was quite a struggle. I’m having the most problems with thinking in a structured way. Ideas about the endproduct pop up pretty fast, I know I definitely make steps in my thinking process but often having a hard time structuring these thoughts.

Thats why I think the idea generation (both strategies and business models) in between the project got me a little confused. At the end I can say I understand the strategies and business models and I think I definitely take some of the insights with me in my further life as a designer.